Sunday, August 08, 2004

HYW(Duncan2): A Crusading Tale


Below is the crusading tale of Francis de Auxenne, Bishop of Cambrai and my short response.

I. The Tale.

Lords of Europe,
Your Holiness,

I come to you with my tale of the events of the crusade.

Being a man with little knowledge of battle, I decided to tag along with the Justice Bohun, whom held the other half of my papal contingent of troops.

I placed my troops under his command, and decided to act in an advisory role only.

I learned much during the crusade, and seen much bloodshed, but it was all for a good cause.

Nearing the 6th week of marching towards the Pruss, the advanced scout came back to warn us of Prussian movement about 2 days ahead. Though I felt anxious, Lord Bohun showed no fear and immediately took command and began preparing for battle.

Upon reaching the location where the infidels were originally reported to be, we found nothing but an empty and abandoned campsite. I went ahead with a small contingent of troops to scout the camp while Lord Bohun stayed to aid in the preperation of our own camp.

After about 10 minutes or so of searching and finding nothing, we began to hear a loud and much comotion coming from behind us. We immediately took off towards Justic Bohuns encampment, and as we neared, we seen waves of Prussians flowing from the nearby forest and into the waiting formation of troops.

It would seem they had known we were coming and set up an ambush for us. Lord Bohun was not fooled, and made the appearance of setting up camp, while sending me away so I would not be injured in the ensuing combat. I finally arrived back to the camp as the main enemy force was reaching our troops.

Under the skillfull command of the Justice, though lacking his traditional yeoman, the troops cut through the infidels, rarely losing a man, and continuously pushing the lines forward. I could not believe the rage and fervor the soldiers fought with, and such a sight filled me with pride, knowing that these men were fighting in the name of holiness and the lord himself.

After the battle was over, hundreds, if not thousands of Prussians lay slain around us, with nary three dozen crusader fatalities.

Though the crusade itself lasted somewhat longer, this battle caused us to fall somewhat behind the rest of the contingent, and we were only able to catch a few stray bandits and the ending of other battles led by other crusading nobles.

I thank the Justice de Bohan for his training and teaching of myself and for making sure that I was protected during the crusade.

I know that god was with us during this battle, and I know he is with all of us always after seeing this amazing sight.

Francis de Auxenne
Bishop of Cambrai

II. My response.

Most Holy Father,
Your Majesty King Edward,
Lords and Ladies of Christendom,

I concur with the story of Bishop Cambrai, except for the parts where he gives me too much credit. The crusaders and myself were confident and successful in our venture due in large to God's blessings through the sagacious advices of Bishop Cambrai all throughout the campaign. When the Bishop claims to be "a man with little knowledge of battle" he only means experience-wise. But of battle strategies and tactics, I assure you that few could match the wisdom and knowledge of the learned Bishop. I consider my contingent to be among the most fortunate, having been guided by Bishop Cambrai.

Lord Chief Justice
Hereford and Essex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home